Introduction to Data Science with R
|When:||24-28 June 2019, 09:00 - 16:00|
|Where:||Bandwidth Barn, Woodstock, Cape Town|
|Day 1||AM||Introduction to R|
|Day 3||AM||Machine Learning: Classification|
|PM||Machine Learning: Linear Models|
|Day 4||AM||Building Shiny Apps|
|Day 5||AM||RMarkdown and Automated Reporting|
Scope and objectives
We will open with an Introduction to R establishing the fundamental features of the language. This will serve as a foundation for the rest of the course.
Next up: Data Wrangling! Here you'll become familiar with your new best friend: the tidyverse. You'll learn to load data from CSV and XLSX files then how to wrangle those data into submission.
On Day 2 you'll learn how to combine the basic components of ggplot2 to create sophisticated visualisations. You'll then look at extensions for labelling points in congested scatterplots and producing animations.
Machine Learning will be our focus on Day 3, covering both classification and linear models.
On Day 4 you'll learn to create interactive data-driven apps using Shiny. Specifically how to
- understand the structure of a Shiny application (UI and server)
- assemble an attractive UI
- understand reactivity (how the UI and server communicate with each other) and
- deploy a Shiny application.
On Day 5, dedicated to R Markdown and automated reporting, you'll learn everything you need to know in order to create an R Markdown document with tables and figures and how to schedule recurring reports.
Interactive course material
Our training emphasises practical skills. So, although you'll be learning concepts and theory, you'll see how everything is applied in the real world as we work through examples and exercises based on real datasets.
We like questions!
Having a firm understanding of the course content will result in you being able to confidently apply your new skills thereafter. So, if at any point you're unsure of something, just ask!
Who should attend?
- Graduate students
- Data analysts
- Anybody who analyses data with Excel
- Anybody who wants to streamline their analytics workflow
* No prior R experience required
Why should I attend?
- The demand for Data Scientists is growing and shows no signs of slowing down.
- There's still time to get in on the action, demand is much higher than supply.
- Jobs are becoming available in a wide variety of industries, not just tech.
- LinkedIn has recently selected data scientist as its most promising career path of 2019.
- Their research indicates that companies intend to keep Data Scientists on their team for the long haul.
All you'll need is a computer with a browser. We'll be using an online development environment. This means that you can focus on learning without having to worry about solving technical problems.
Of course, we're happy to help you get your local environment set up too! You can start by following these instructions.
*The prices below include lunch and refreshments during the coffee breaks.
|Early-Bird (available until 3 June, 18:00)|
|R 4500 Full week|
|R 1000 Per day|
|Standard (available until 21 June, 18:00)|
|R 5400 Full week|
|R 1200 Per day|
If you like the sound of this course but can't attend this iteration please contact us so we can work on setting up another one.
Looking to expand your skillset but this course doesn't meet your needs? We've got something for everyone. Visit our training page to learn more.
All Exegetic's training options are also available as in-house training at your premises.